TLC Summer Day Camp serves as a community outreach effort that serves youth between the age of 5 and 14 (up until 8th grade) around the 63106 zip code, particularly students from the schools within walking distance of the church, attendees of the Lutheran Community Center, and Gateway 180 (a homeless shelter near the church). The camp is a great way for campers to spend part of their summer in a fun and safe environment! The camp runs Monday through Friday from 9:00 am – 3:00 pm. Admission is free for all campers.
The camp was founded by the TLC Youth Group in 2016 and started out as a half-day arts camp for girls. We are happy to have expanded to a being a full-day, co-ed, sports and arts camp. The camp is designed to give the youth exposure to positive role models, opportunities to learn new skills, and to build positive self-esteem and character traits.
“Young Innovators” TLC Summer Day Camp 2019
The 2019 camp session is themed “Young Innovators”. In 1904, St. Louis hosted the World’s Fair and the Olympics which greatly changed the landscape of the city and brought many new innovations to the forefront. The campers will learn some of the rich history of St. Louis and the role that African Americans and other minorities played during such an historic time. The campers will also get the chance to become young innovators, using their brains and imaginations to complete and share creative projects and participate in fun “Olympic” events. We want the kids to leave camp each day feeling like they are unique and have something to contribute to the world.
Week 1- July 8-12
week 2- July 15-19
week 3- July 22-26
Time: 9:00 am- 3:00 pm
Discoverers (ages 5-6)
Explorers (ages 7-8)
Investigators (ages 9-11)
Creators (ages 12-14)
- Dance- Campers will be introduced to various genres of dance (jazz, lyrical, acrobatics, and hip-hop).
- Art- Campers will be introduced to different forms of art and study some of the most famous artwork from the 1904 World’s Fair. They will create their own versions and complete individual and group projects. Each camper will complete a weekly art/craft piece to take home.
- Music- Campers will be introduced to different genres of music and learn about harmony and performance.
- Sports- Campers will learn and/or improve basic skills in a variety of sports activities (gymnastics, kickball, softball/wiffle-ball, basketball) as well as compete in different “Olympic” events.
- Demonstrations- Each day the students will learn about a different innovation or inventor. They will have hands-on demonstrations where they will learn about science, art, food, and everyday inventions.
- Guest Speakers- The campers will get to do fun activities with guest speakers that will teach them about sports, art, music, and much more.
(In case link does not work: https://forms.gle/SWzKs7TqVssN5YHs7)