TLC Summer Day Camp serves as a community outreach effort that serves youth between the age of 5 and 14 (up until 8th grade) around the 63106 zip code, particularly students from the schools within walking distance of the church, attendees of the Lutheran Community Center, and Gateway 180 (a homeless shelter near the church). The camp is a great way for campers to spend part of their summer in a fun and safe environment! The camp runs Monday through Friday from 9:00 am – 3:00 pm. Admission is free for all campers.
The camp was founded by the TLC Youth Group in 2016 and started out as a half-day arts camp for girls. We are happy to have expanded to a being a full-day, co-ed, sports and arts camp. The camp is designed to give the youth exposure to positive role models, opportunities to learn new skills, and to build positive self-esteem and character traits.
“Space Exploration” TLC Summer Day Camp 2020
The 2020 camp session is themed “Space Exploration”. In our 2019 camp session, we took a trip to the St. Louis Science Center. The highlight of that trip was our time spent in the James S. McDonnell Planetarium. From that inspiration, the 2020 “Space Exploration” Summer Camp session is an educational program meant to expand children’s knowledge of their planet, solar system, and universe. The campers will learn the rich history of space exploration through hands-on lessons, creative projects, and field trips. We want the kids to leave camp each day with the knowledge that they are part of the beauty and power of the universe. Additionally, we want the campers to think about what they can do to help our planet.
Week 1- July 8-12
week 2- July 15-19
week 3- July 22-26
Time: 9:00 am- 3:00 pm
Discoverers (ages 5-6)
Explorers (ages 7-8)
Investigators (ages 9-11)
Creators (ages 12-14)
- Dance- Campers will be introduced to various genres of dance (jazz, lyrical, acrobatics, and hip-hop).
- Art- Campers will be introduced to different forms of art and study some of the most famous artwork and photography about space exploration. They will create their own versions of art through individual and group projects. Each camper will complete a weekly art-piece/craft to take home.
- Music- Campers will be introduced to different genres of music and learn about harmony and performance.
- Sports- Campers will learn and/or improve basic skills in a variety of sports activities as well as compete in space-themed exercises and activities.
- Demonstrations- Each day the students will learn about outer space, technology, and exploration. They will have hands-on demonstrations where they will learn about science, art, food, and technological advances.
- Guest Speakers- The campers will get to do fun activities with guest speakers that will teach them about sports, art, music, and much more.
(In case link does not work: https://forms.gle/SWzKs7TqVssN5YHs7)